FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:58 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
21. What did U.S. air carriers Lake Central Airlines, Northern Consolidated and Pacific Air Lines as well as Mexicana de Aviacion all have in common in 1967 according to an aircraft manufacturer?

I'm going to guess this had something to do with the 737 which entered service in 1967. Indeed Lake Central was supposed to be the launch customer for the 737-200C but the order was never taken up and the aircraft went instead to Wien Consolidated (ex-Northern Consolidated Airlines) I recall Pacific also ordering 737s, but not Mexicana. In summary, let's say all of these airlines ordered 737s which were never delivered to the airline.

27. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) in 1982 on board a stretched DC-8, what airline would you call?

Everything here says United, but I can't imagine you going with such an obvious answer so let's go with Capitol Airlines.
21. Absolutely correct! Boeing stated at the time that all four air carriers had ordered new Boeing 737 aircraft but none of them took delivery of the type. Here's a couple of Boeing print ads concerning the customer list at the time for the 737.......

Boeing941years66

Boeing17airlines67

As most everyone knows, Lake Central was merged into Allegheny, a DC-9 operator, Northern Consolidated was merged into Wien, and Pacific, a 727 operator, joined with Bonanza and West Coast, both DC-9 operators, to form Air West while Mexicana apparently elected to go with the 727 instead.

27. Nope, it wasn't Capitol nor was it United. However, you are very much on the right track with your answer concerning Capitol so please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 7, 2019 at 1:05 pm