FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:10 am
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by isocblrg
In mid-May I was booked HNL-GUM-MNL. That evening GUM-MNL flight was overbooked by 30 people (so I was told later by some UA employees who had time to kill and looked it up). UA sent an employee to stand at the jetway to tell all deplaning passengers from the HNL-GUM flight that they were eagerly looking for volunteers due to a plane substitution (gauge change) and were offering $5,000 VDB. I suspect most people were protected onto the same time UA flight the next day; UA was able to protect me onto an early morning Philippines Airways flight, so net 12 hour delay into MNL instead of net 24 hours delay. Overnight hotel was at the Hilton near Guam Airport, comfortable enough for sure. I was also told that they had no problems getting the number of volunteers needed, not surprising given that was their opening offer.

Wish I had that kind of opportunity more often....
fantastic!!! Sounds like a B738 to B737 downgauge.