FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:54 am
scwam

Originally Posted by jphripjah
  • My dinner bill last night itemized the price of items, gave a subtotal then listed "Tip . . . . $0.00," the amount of tax, the amount of service charge, and then it gave a "grand total" before providing the lines to fill in room number, gratuity amount, and signature. I don't think I've ever seen a hotel print "Tip $0.00" on my dinner bill before. This strongly suggests that the resort does not consider the "service charge" to be a tip for staff. You may have just paid a $20 service charge on your meal, but you haven't tipped, that's the message I got. It makes me wonder where the service charge goes.
This is exactly what I would not want to expect at a resort of this level. This type of subdued pressure on patrons makes people uncomfortable. However, with these American conglomerates (btw I'm American), it doesn't surprise me. They need to change their greedy ways. With this alone, and I've never been to the Maldives, it is converse to everything I've ever read about the Maldives. Kind of disappointing actually, if they are not really subsidizing the servers with these fees.