FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Excess baggage over 3 bags
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:48 pm
Rebound

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by ruff00
In the past we used to travel with two of us (Elite, and Gold) on Business tickets, with 4 checked 23kg bags, sometimes 5. (equipment for work).

We travelled all over the place like this, with no hassles at all. Until one time at Air NZ Premium check in area in Auckland.

The senior staff member was super rude. Obnoxious, and just plain nasty.
Telling us that 3 bags was the absolute max. No more, never, no exceptions.
(Despite us flying up from Queenstown with our 4 bags each on Air NZ... and trying to go on to Australia business).
Also despite the fast we had done the same thing, many, many times previously.

She went away, and consulted (at my suggestion) and came back with an internal print out stating 3 bags max.

(She was pretty smug and happy with herself then...)

I pulled up some terms on an Air NZ website, that stated something about the cost's involved for bags checked in over the 3, and how it was calculated.

So, she had to concede, and we were allowed to fly on.

And, then of course, flying out of Australia, everything was just fine. No hassles at all. The staff there were lovely.

My advice, find that clause, and print it out.

We dramatically reduced our company travel on Air NZ after that awful experience. Also, when we do fly them, we now only do 3 bags max per person.
I was flying J from AKL-LHR (via LAX) my bag was 26kg, was told i needed to get it to 23kg. I had to put a few items into a backpack and check it in. Entitled to 3 bags though...