FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:32 pm
synthkeys

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by moondog
-didi, mobike, elema, etc require local numbers​​​
Not sure about this. I've been using DiDi and Mobike just fine with my HK number. One added benefit of using DiDi with HK number is drivers hardly ever call. With local number, the drivers will always call to verify. HK number I get called very rarely and the drivers use the app to communicate so I get some built-in translation.

Very typically after being assigned a DiDi driver, I'll get the automated message - Is your GPS location accurate? (or whatever the canned message is). Then I quickly reply with canned message - My GPS location is accurate, please pick me up according to the GPS location. That seems to satisfy their need to know that the pickup will happen. When I used to have a local number, I'd always get the call right after the driver is assigned and since I can't speak drivers would sometimes cancel on me. Although that's before I knew the trick of not answering the call and then responding with canned message - I can't answer the phone right now, please send me a message. On the rare occasion the driver tries calling on my HK number, I just do that or send the "My location is accurate ..." message.