FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hampton Inn & Suites Plattsburgh {US-NY}
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Arrow Hampton Inn & Suites Plattsburgh {US-NY}

Introduction I had a quick overnight at Hampton Inn Plattsburgh. This area of upstate NY is on the shore of Lake Champlain and it attracts a significant number of shoppers and tourists from Montreal. Since I stayed at both Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn during the same week I thought I would provide a quick review and comparison in case someone is considering staying there. Location The hotel is located very close to the I-87 exit in a cluster with lots of other hotels, restaurants, and shopping malls. Hampton Inn is next to a UNO restaurant and at check-in I received a $5 drink voucher at that restaurant. Room I booked an entry level room and I was upgraded as Hilton Diamond to a studio suite with sofa bed. The value of the upgrade is only $10 but it shows at least that the hotel pays attention to status recognition. Based on the floor plan this room type is materially larger than the standard room, and also larger than the suite I got at Fairfield Inn across the road. My room at HI had an extra sink near the entrance along with a mini-fridge and microwave. The room is in decent shape although not as fresh as Fairfield Inn, particularly the bathroom which is so-so at HI with a shower in the bathtub compared to the much better bathroom at FI which has a stand-alone shower. Despite HI being a bit older, it was nonetheless clean and functional; there were USB ports and power plugs on one side of the bed. Dining Breakfast is offered free to all guests 6-10am. Fruits were standard hotel fruits and nothing special, hot choices were also standard, and there were a couple of waffle machines. The way this breakfast stands out from other Hampton Inns is that they have smoothies and freshly pressed juices such as peach-mango, sweet greens, and banana strawberry. They also had Chobani yogurts available in the buffet which is nicer than other Hampton Inns I have been to in the past. This breakfast won’t blow anybody away but relative to the brand this is slightly above average and also better than Fairfield Inn. Wifi I tested wifi speed and it was adequate: 13-14 Mbps. Overall Overall Hampton Inn Plattsburgh is a decent place to stay overnight and I can recommend it; you will not get a bad negative surprise. Hampton Inn seems to be a bit cheaper than Fairfield Inn for most dates so for people on a tight budget you can save money at HI and have an ok hotel. Hampton Inn is a better fit than Fairfield Inn for people who care about having extra space if you have status with Hilton, and also for people who want a marginally better breakfast. On the other hand, Fairfield Inn has the newer and better looking rooms.