Old Jul 5, 19, 2:10 pm
metallo

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
I must be missing something here... how is it possible to hold a ticket with an invalid credit card? Most holds are free. IIRC, AA does have some type of payment model in place for extending the length of hold for cash -- is that what is being discussed here? Also, anytime I make a credit card transaction on AA.com, it seems to validate the credit card right away. For instance, if I mistype part of the credit card number or something similar, I get an error message when it attempts to process the transaction, so I simply correct the error, and then it is set up for ticketing. I don't think I've ever had a confirmation go through only to find out later that the credit card was invalid. How would the OP have made reservations outside of the free hold process where the credit card was not processed up front?

Edited to add: Just read OP's most recent posts above. Is this issue specific to the "fly now buy later" deal? In that case, seems like this wouldn't be a routine issue that most AA flyers would encounter.