View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:50 pm
ronbo83

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
C'mon, you can't offer that list of non-compares. Of those only Maldives has reefs (good ones), shore reefs, and Maui is in the US (no passport needed, not 3-4 flights around the world - which I love).

For some (that just want a nice pool in beautiful weather with a beach let's say, and nice property) Andaz might have equals... for for some (that love reefs, and other reasons too) Andaz really is a one of kind Hyatt property, unmatched (as noted by the other post)... service issues or not.
I get what you are saying (shorter flight, no passport, etc.) and I even said this is a great location and fantastic hard product but when someone visits multiple times and each trip encounters almost the same issues, I choose to take my business elsewhere, regardless of the convenience it may offer. The other hotels are comparable IMO in the sense that they are all Cat 7 and below hotels that offer a non-cruise ship experience (per original response poster) and we have had better customer service at. Of course YMMV but we have had multiple negative experiences here and that is really disappointing.

One more unrelated consideration. Given that airlines (AA and UA in my experience) have raised the award charts for lay flat business class to Hawaii to almost the same as lay flat business class to the Maldives (62.5k to OGG vs 70k to MLE on AA), it makes sense for our travel to just head back to the PHM where the service has improved on each trip. We will be there later this year and the airline points redemption is virtually the same (7.5k more each way in QSuite using AA award) while the Hyatt redemption is the exact same. That is nothing against the Andaz but something to keep in mind given current airline award redemption charts for Hawaii and other boutique hotel destinations around the world.