FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United pushes JPM on Sapphire Reserve
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:31 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Marginalize it (the importance of the relative value difference) as you may attempt, your above argument is built upon the fact that the relative value of UA miles matters — which is what I keep saying.
No. It. Does. Not.
I’ve said consistently that UA has the UA card problem it deserves because UA decides to make their miles worth less for consumers than other rebate currencies available to consumers in the market.
It is a simple law of economics that it is not possible for currency A to be more valuable than currency B when currency B can be changed, at will, to currency A at par. There’s even a name for it: Gresham’s Law. If UA MileagePlus miles could each be redeemed for a Maserati, as long as Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed 1:1 for UA MileagePlus miles, Ultimate Rewards points would still be more valuable.

UR points are more valuable than UA miles. UA made this true on its own.
That is false. Chase actually did that by creating a convertible currency at a 1:1 ratio. Similarly, Ultimate Rewards points are more valuable than Flying Blue points, Hyatt points, or any of the other currencies they can be converted into.

The only thing UA could have done to prevent this would have been to refuse to allow UR to MP at 1:1.

This is a completely different argument than saying whether or not the Explorer card could ever be a good value. It’s possible for the Explorer card to be more valuable than the CSR, but only if the multipliers are greater than you’d get from Ultimate Rewards. I posted a suggested chart earlier in this thread; I won’t bother doing it again.