FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United pushes JPM on Sapphire Reserve
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:18 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The real question is can you use your miles or points for travel that brings a value > .02 per mile/point? That is almost impossible now with miles in the UA/DL/AA/WN/B6 programs, excepting redemptions on *A, OW and ST partners. If those awards disappear then I expect people will give a closer look to the cash back cards, and Scott Kirby will continue to see his card #s tank.
I still think the constant comparison to "cash back" is a false choice in the current environment when the Chase family (Freedom and Sapphire) earns more miles than its UA card competition. I'm amazed by the number of posts in this thread along the lines of "UA miles are so worthless guess it's time to stop spending x thousands on my UA cards"... irrespective of the value of UA miles, CSR+CFU is a better cardset for spend. IMO the biggest change here are all the new hyper-lucrative 450 cards (which are their own interesting situation, as IIRC Chase took a $200MM quarterly loss when they introduced the CSR - talk about a loss leader!)