FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for September trip on ANA
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:33 pm
BrianLy

Advice for September trip on ANA

Hi

For various reasons, plans for a trip to Japan for the rugby world cup have been shifting, otherwise I'd have had flights sorted out some time ago. I have match tickets already, so I am definitely going! I've heard that ANA have great service, but my only miles are with United (106k and no status). Is there any chance of getting an upgrade, or return flight with this number of miles at this point? Or, option to get upgrade on one leg? I'm looking for my best optimization strategies.

The following info will be helpful, I hope:
  • Live near PHL, but EWR or other NYC airport isn't out of the question since I have cheap transport and overnight stay options.
  • I don't mind having a very long layover, or several days in another country. I hate super short connections. Although it seems like normal connections via US airports seem like the cheapest option from ITA Matrix searches.
  • I have at least 10 days of vacation banked, so jetlag recovery is less of a concern. I'm assuming any flights through Europe are going to blow away my budget, but I have a lot of friends I could visit.
  • The United miles have been useful for visiting family in Ireland or for them to visit me here. I assume ANA will credit miles to my United MileagePlus account.
  • I'm open to other airlines, especially if it would offer premium economy for part of the way.
  • I was hoping to keep the cost of flights under $2500 which seems doable based on my searches, but I'd be open to approaching the limit if I could see other places. Open jaw travel seems really expensive and I've always done point-to-point flights.
Thanks in advance!