FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger goes beserk in Economy over seat recline
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:48 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A while ago, I recounted a similar-ish situation on a flight from TXL to LHR. I too was at the window seat A, and when the aisle passenger in the row in front reclined whilst my C seat neighbour (middle seat empty) was working on his laptop, said neighbour got really aggressive and threatening. As a result, the reclining passenger called the crew who talked to them briefly meekly saying it was not fighting for before retreating to the front galley.

Predictably, the situation reoccurred much worse yet and the crew were completely dismissive whilst the rest of us were exposed to my neighbour hitting the seat in front, this reoccurred several times to the continuous disinterest of the crew despite some actual shouting and my neighbour ignoring the recommendation to calm down and move to an empty row by several of us (the flight wasn't even very full). By the time the SCCM finally came by and proposed to the two passengers to move, both refused and my neighbour actually threatened the person in front that he would "find" him after the flight. The passenger in front reported the threat to the SCCM who was still completely unbothered. In our case, there was no one meeting the flight and certainly not the police and I passed the passenger next to me whilst he was picking up his bag and purposefully made a very slow exit hoping the guy in front (who wasn't particularly nice either but seemed the less crazy of the two by quite a distance) to make a swift exit as I was genuinely worried the other guy would attack him (in fairness he never was aggressive to me specifically).

So I would say that in comparison, your crew seem to have been quite exemplary in their handling. In my case, I wrote to BA to report the incident after the flight and got an irrelevant copy/paste answer.

Reclining one's seat is a right, and people should remember that even a short haul flight may be part of an itinerary that may well involve 15, 20, or 30 hours of flying (I am indeed a frequent flyer of those. So if one remembers that the passenger in 7D may well have been coming from a 12 hour flight from Latin America or similar, one can certainly see why some people would want to take whatever little recline is allowed on those flights.