FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roll Over Nights Question
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:47 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by travelingbob
I am trying to figure something out and I have not found the answer posted. I am a Hilton Diamond and I started the year with 30 rollover nights as I stayed 90 nights last year. If I stay 40 nights this year I will have earned Diamond status using the rollover nights and I will have 10 extra nights. What concerns me is the rule I saw from Hilton saying something to the effect that rollover nights from the previous year do not carry forward. Do this mean that starting January 2020 that I will have ZERO rollover nights or will I start with 10?

Thanks everyone!!!!!
You will start the year with 0 nights. The FAQs for the program provide the formula:
Total qualifying nights at year end (inclusive of rollover from prior year) — any elite rollover nights from the previous year (now expired) — qualifying nights needed to renew your current elite status tier = elite rollover nights for next year.

Example: You rolled over 5 nights from 2018, you stayed 45 nights in 2019 and gained Gold Status. The calculation for 2019 rollover nights would be as follows: 5 rollover nights from 2018 + 45 nights from stays in 2019 — 40 nights needed for Gold — 5 rollover nights from 2018 (now expired) = 5 elite rollover nights into 2020
Applying this to your situation:
70 (30 rollover + 40 2019 stays) - 30 (the rollover from last year) = 40 - 60 (the nights needed to prequalify for diamond) = 0 rollover nights.

The FAQs:
Elite Rollover Nights
1. What are elite rollover nights?

Elite rollover nights provide a faster way to earn elite status. Starting at Silver, at the end of the calendar year, any qualifying nights in excess of those required to qualify for your elite status level will be counted toward your elite status qualification for the following calendar year (January 1st to December 31st).

Example: If you reach Silver status after completing 10 nights, but end the calendar year with 30 nights, 20 nights will roll over into the following year. This gives you a jump-start on earning Gold status in the new calendar year.

2. Who is eligible to roll over nights?

All elite tiers (Silver, Gold, and Diamond Members) are eligible to roll over elite qualifying nights. Lifetime Diamond members will not rollover nights as elite status is secured for life.

3. If I downgrade my status during the year, will I still be able to roll over my elite qualifying nights from my new tier?

Elite members will still be able to roll over their elite qualifying nights even if they have downgraded status during the year.

Example: If you are downgraded to Silver in April (during annual requalification) and stay 30 nights that year, 20 nights would roll over to start the next calendar year.

4. Can I only roll over nights?

Elite members are only able to roll over nights. For more information on how to earn elite status refer to the Membership Tiers page.

5. Do I need to sign up to begin earning elite rollover nights?

No sign up or action is required to earn elite rollover nights. As a Silver, Gold, or Diamond member, your elite rollover nights will automatically be applied toward maintaining or achieving elite status in the following calendar year.

6. Will my 2017 nights in excess of my elite tier qualification be eligible to roll over to start the 2018 calendar year?

As this is a new benefit for elite members, all eligible members can roll over nights achieved during the 2018 calendar year starting on January 1, 2019, and going forward.

7. How many nights at each tier are required to begin counting elite rollover nights?

At the end of the calendar year, elite members can roll over any qualifying nights in excess of the number required to gain elite tier status:
• Nights 11-39 for Silver members
• Nights 41-59 for Gold members
• Nights 61+ for Diamond members

8. What do I need to do to start accumulating elite rollover nights?

Stay at any of our 5,000+ hotels and resorts worldwide. We will automatically apply your elite rollover nights to your account at the start of the next calendar year to help you achieve and maintain elite status.

9. How can I find out how many elite rollover nights will apply to the next status year?

To calculate the number of elite rollover nights you have achieved to-date, you can apply the following formula:

Total qualifying nights at year end (inclusive of rollover from prior year) — any elite rollover nights from the previous year (now expired) — qualifying nights needed to renew your current elite status tier = elite rollover nights for next year.

Example: You rolled over 5 nights from 2018, you stayed 45 nights in 2019 and gained Gold Status. The calculation for 2019 rollover nights would be as follows: 5 rollover nights from 2018 + 45 nights from stays in 2019 — 40 nights needed for Gold — 5 rollover nights from 2018 (now expired) = 5 elite rollover nights into 2020

These elite rollover nights will be automatically calculated for you and applied to your member account at the beginning of the next calendar year — no action is required from you.

Diamond members with 120+ nights within a calendar year will rollover 60 nights into the new year, as 60 nights will ensure you maintain your Diamond status for another year.

10. For how long are my elite rollover nights valid and when can I apply them toward status? What happened to my elite rollover nights from last year?

Elite rollover nights are only valid for the next calendar year and expire thereafter. Elite rollover nights cannot be reserved and applied to a second, third year or subsequent year.

Example: You rolled over 10 nights from 2018, you stayed 20 nights in 2019 and gained Silver status. The calculation for 2019 rollover nights would be as follows: 10 rollover nights from 2018 + 20 nights from stays in 2019 — 10 nights needed for Silver — 10 rollover nights from 2018 (now expired) = 10 elite rollover nights into 2020

Elite rollover nights must be used in the following calendar year from when they were earned. In this example, the 10 elite rollover nights from 2018 must be used in 2019 and cannot be applied to the 2020 calendar year.

11. How many elite rollover nights can I carry over into the next calendar year?

There is no limit; however, you'll only roll over nights in excess of those needed to earn your elite status level in a calendar year.

While there is no limit, Diamond members with 120+ nights will only see 60 rollover nights in their trackers, because only 60 rollover nights are needed to ensure you maintain your Diamond status for another year.

12. Which types of nights are eligible for roll over? What about nights achieved through a promotion?

All qualifying nights are eligible to roll over. Qualifying nights for paid and reward stays (including Points & Money Rewards™ stays) count as full qualifying nights for achieving status and are eligible to be rolled over to the following calendar year.

Any elite qualifying nights earned through a promotional offer (i.e. double night credit) are also eligible and will be counted in the calculation for elite rollover nights.

13. Do the elite rollover nights count towards achieving night milestone bonuses?

The elite rollover nights will only count toward a member achieving the next status tier.

To achieve the annual Milestone Bonuses the member will need to have stayed at least 40 nights within the calendar year and elite rollover nights will not count toward that total. For the 30,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points milestone at 60 nights, a member will need to have stayed at least 60 nights within that calendar year.

These elite rollover nights will also not count toward any other type of stay bonuses or status offers (e.g. promotional offers, elite status fast tracks, status match, etc.).

14. Do the elite rollover nights count toward achieving the gifting Gold or Diamond status benefit?

The elite rollover nights will only count toward a member achieving the next tier status. To achieve the gifting status benefit the member will need to have stayed at least 60 nights (for gifting Gold) or at least 100 nights (for gifting Diamond) within the calendar year and elite rollover nights will not count toward that total.
Some other threads:
Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)
Roll over nights question
How does rollover work?

Originally Posted by cjd
Unless they have notified you that nights over 60 nights will rollover this year to next, then yes, you will start next year with 0 nights. Rollover nights are not an automatic feature of the Honors programme. It's an additional bonus which they sometimes give to members.
Status rollover nights are an automatic feature of the Hilton Honors program, since 2018. See:
Hilton Honors Updates for 2018 | FAQ

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 30, 2019 at 2:08 pm