FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:35 am
teemuflyer

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Regardless of who performed the coding, the issue was with whoever wrote the parameters and established the specifications. That was certainly Boeing senior employees.
I don't want to be disagreeable on this, but it's more complex than that. I'm pretty sure that the "happy path" criteria was met (meaning, everyday scenarios, some outliers were covered), but edge cases were probably missed with less qualified coding staff. There is a reason why companies still, and will continue to pay, top dollar for highly skilled software engineers, especially for mission critical applications. These "coders" have the propensity to work with their product management counterparts to fully understand their project end-to-end, and often raise areas of concern in a continuous, collaborative effort, to address them.

This does not mean they are necessarily US, European based as some might falsely presume, just that they are senior, experienced professionals in their field that ask appropriate questions, and are not just "order takers". I've have had the pleasure to work with such individuals from all parts of the world.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Jun 30, 2019 at 2:05 pm