FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:50 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stmvanc
I cash booked YVR-SFO-FRA-TXL on Monday 23 September for me and my wife, with SFO-FRA in PP (R), and applied a GPU. I'm 1K, my wife is Gold, and UA 58 SFO-FRA is currently showing J9 JN9 C4 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0. We'd really like to get upgraded to Polaris for SFO-FRA.
1. Chances the GPU will clear?
2. If at T-24 the GPU hasn't cleared, should I then look at SDC such as YVR-ORD-FRA-TXL to see if it has upgrade space instead? ORD-FRA does not have PP/real Polaris, would we be better off sticking with PP SFO-FRA, or biz on ORD-FRA?
3. Semi-unrelated: If we stick with YVR-SFO-FRA-TXL, the YVR-SFO leg is the 6am UA 618 flight with a > 5hr layover in SFO; I noticed that there's a later 8:45am AC Jazz flight (code-shared UA 8255) that would cut down the SFO layover to more like 2.5 hrs and get us more sleep. Would United allow me to make this change?
Are you two on the same reservation? If so you both get 1K priority.

1. C4 D0 means UA thinks they'll sell almost all of the seats. However, it's very early. End of August will give a clearer picture.
2. Yes, may as well look, but you should only switch if PZ space is available. It will be complicated and take agent intervention.
3. I think no chance without money changing hands (yours to theirs). Without IRROPS you can't go from UA metal to other metal.