Old Jun 29, 19, 9:06 am
thunderlounge

Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hour-engineers

America’s favorite form of cost-cutting finally comes home to roost.
(Re: $9/hr outsource article cited above.)

As a well seasoned software engineer with over 20 years in the game this really cheeses me off to no end. Spend a little more upfront, or 10x more on the backend when things go wrong.

Built to spec or not, it can still be bad internally, whether the specs were wrong or right.

While not on the scale of this Boeing deal, the company I work for did something similar but trusted a 3rd party vendor when they selected one of their products for use. This started about 3 years ago, and it was “going to save money because we can integrate this into our software and launch within 3 months.”

I warned them at the time that it was a stupid idea and concept, and that it would cost significantly more in the end. I also recommended that it be built in-house, and 2 people would have it launched in 6 months.

It just launched at the beginning of this year, and so far has had about $550k (not including employee wages on our end to integrate it all) with no end in sight. Not to mention it has crashed our production facilities twice, due to licensing update issues when it “called home” for automated checks buried within its code.

We’re also only utilizing about 15% of its capabilities, as we came to find out that the rest of the features we were sold were useless.

Just last month it was decided to suspend offering these features, stabilize clients whom already have them, and... rebuild in-house.

Taking the cost paid for said software out of the equation completely, the wages for just our side spent on this are 3-4x more than what it would have been to just write it in-house. Wasted resources, wasted money, all to save a few bucks. Instead, it overall it ended up being almost 7x more expensive thus far.

This isn’t just a Boeing problem, it’s a problem at most major companies. The few times it does actually pan out does not make up for the long-term cost from poor decisions. In Boeings case for just this instance, it certainly will not make up for the loss of life, let alone the financial cost.