FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:18 pm
tuonopepper

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by jp-mco
I appreciate your position. That said it's hard for a passenger to support industrial action which has been orchestrated to inflict maximum disruption when it might affect them. I am one of the people in that position. I suspect that many families (who already have to pay a premium to travel during school holidays) will not be so supportive of this industrial action especially when they find out that an 11.5% increase over the next 3 years has already been offered. In the wider private sector context 11.5% is generous - maybe not for a job with unsociable hours but that is the nature of the industry.
No issue with the strike or the claim for what those paid it see as fair pay increases, but the timing sucks and will define the view the public have.

Strike outside school holidays and disrupt my flights for work, no issue, no big deal, meetings can be re-arranged, alternate routes found etc, good lick with it. However strike during the school holidays, which happen to be the only time I can use my Avios to spend time with my family (the Avios I earn helping keep BA profitable) does feel like a kick in the teeth.

Options for refunds etc don't really help when you've booked with Avios and are kind of stuck. Here's hoping it's sorted by late August.

​​