FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My best trip to Europe ever!
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:21 pm
Wiggums

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Wow - what a trip! Lots of so different places, lots of different countries, nice cars, Loch Ness, the autobahn, Michelangelo, ....ing, and a flight home in LH F! Pity you were stuck with three weeks worth of supermarket food on this otherwise remarkable trip, but sacrifices have to be made sometimes!

I am surprised you had the cojones to drive an Audi A7 to Pompeii - car theft down there seems even more rampant than in Rome (in the neighboring Naples, I never saw any Mercedes/BMW/Audi cars on the street, and lots of car rental companies prohibit travel to Italy with German-made cars, although Sixt doesn't). But it seems you did fine and returned the same number of cars as you rented. Well done, and thanks for writing it down and posting pictures for us to see
I wasn't even aware of rampant car thefts in Pompei, now that I know, I probably would have reconsidered! In Rome, the hotel had its own parking and it was gated. If you can tolerate nuns and their tendency to scold, you'd like this hotel. Sixt was awesome, allowed the A7 in Prague too, I don't know which one is worse, Prague or Rome. I know it was bad in Prague back then.

Supermarket food isn't that bad. Just think Whole Foods, but not that nice though. Some even had salad bars. I liked the Curry Pringles. Sometimes I'd buy hummus and gyro bread. Sometimes a mac salad. I'm not a food gourmet, but supermarket has quite a bit of variety which I enjoyed.

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Wow. Quite something. Not how I would choose to travel- but each to their own!

I've got to call you out on something though. What on earth were you doing taking a photo with whilst driving at 260kph, on a quite clearly not empty autobahn?? Ludicrously dangerous.
It was mostly empty and the car on the right lane was doing 190 km/h, probably 200 km/h. And it wasn't a photo, it was a clip from a very small video camera that was attached to my sunglasses. Not dangerous.

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
What a trip!! It seems you crammed what I managed to do in 2 years during my time in Grad School in London into 3 weeks!! Hopefully it wasn't too stressful~
Naw, no time lost thanks to navigation. I also know a lot of the cities pretty well so it wasn't a big deal. Eating while driving to the next destination is a real time-saver.