FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discoveries while travelling - things you didn't know before
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:32 am
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by invisible
You will also find that yogurt and especially cheese section is like 1/10th what you will see in american or european supermarkets, in my local supermarket it is like two shelves of 2ft long and you will only find well known brands of processed cheese there, like President. Also cheese is about 2-3x more expensive compared to US/EU. I or my wife, when travelling to US, always bring back at least 20lb of cheese from Costco. You can't get it in Singapore.

A lot of local people do not eat cheese 'as-is', but you see a lot of various 'spicy cheese sauce' used in local fast food restaurants.
I'm kinda surprised. I remember visiting a Cold Storage somewhere and seeing a decent cheese selection (eg, more than a selection of american, cheddar and mozz). That was a few years ago though.

Originally Posted by invisible
In Asia people do love ice, but here surprise comes - it is not free.
I mean - if you want to have iced coffee (or Kopi, as I explained in previous post) you need to pay 50c more just for ice. One of our first culture shock after moving to Singapore was that we went to a restaurant and asked for water before bringing food. To our big surprise, waiter brought warm water (and it is 90F and 80% of humidity outside). Asked to bring ice and he said 'cannot lah'. It took about 2 min question/answer until he finally said that he can't bring ice 'for free' but he can bring it separately and charge $1 per 'glass of ice'.
There is also the believe in TCM that cold liquids impede the digestive system. That's why hot tea is what is often offered. Personally, I prefer an ice kachang or a chendol when at a hawker center, but that's just me.