FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska cancels Bellingham Maui route
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:50 pm
ashill

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
How do "widely spaced" flights affect connections? I would think it's a matter of scheduling the flights are the right times (i.e. they could still be widely spaced throughout the day, but the actual timing of the flights would determine the ability to connect to a wide variety of glights).
Because AS doesn’t have banked hubs, if they don’t have frequent flights in a given market, there are only a handful of connections that are well served from that market. I’ve felt this keenly out of both YLW and EAT (my two home-ish airports). I find that trying to fly AS to anywhere east just doesn’t work. I’m currently on a trip in which it made more sense to drive five hours to GEG and fly GEG-DEN-Wisconsin than to drive one hour to YLW and fly YLW-SEA-MKE because of the infrequency and poor timing of AS options. The YLW-SEA flights are scheduled such that it’s impossible to get to MKE without an overnight or 5+ hour layover in one or both directions.

So yes, in principle they could address this by banking SEA. But I doubt SEA has the gate or runway capacity to handle banking (a la the absurd banking UA has at DEN — practically every city had a flight landing at 15:00 and departing at 15:45, plus or minus ten minutes, something I’m not used to since I rarely fly through a banked hub like DEN) anyway.