FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:56 pm
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pinniped
For those of you ashamed to even consider eating fast food abroad, does this only apply to American brands or also to the local streetfood? Is it the quick-service style that's repulsive or the Americanness or corporateness of McD's, KFC, etc. that is repulsive?

What about Starbucks? Does it fall in this category too?

What about a local but corporate fast food chain? Pret A Manger in London, for example?

Most FTers don't have a problem with American brands abroad like Marriott or Hilton (and might even eat the food there). I find it interesting that restaurants strike a very different emotional chord.

I'll admit that I'm in the camp that tends to avoid McDonald's but would happily eat some local dish from a guy grilling stuff on the street, even if it's something mundane like a taco or sandwich. But I don't have any visceral opposition to the American brands, nor think terribly of people who occasionally hit one up for convenience sake.
I avoid the same chain restaurants I can find at home. For example, in central London I'd rather have a burger from Byron Proper than Five Guys, get my coffee at Costa instead of Starbucks, a sandwich from Pret a Manger than Subway, etc. I prefer street food to all of the aforementioned. Berwick St. Market and Borough Market are two favourites.

Hotels are a bit different because getting a crap hotel is a bigger issue than a meal and the large international chains have attractive loyalty programs.