FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - airBaltic - CDG to TLL - Airbus 220
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:23 am
Braniff

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
airBaltic - CDG to TLL - Airbus 220

Flight map displayed continuously.

2-3 seating. Spacious feel to the A220 cabin.

Seats are also uncomfortable to sit in.

I flew with airBaltic from Paris to Tallinn earlier this month.

I had a ticket which allowed one checked bag.

airBaltic leaves from Terminal 2D, which is somewhat superior to the low-cost Terminal 3 but not much. I remember ages ago when Terminal 2D was a very pleasant terminal but that’s another story.

I had done on-line check-in but there was no possibility to choose your seat - not even at the t-24 hours mark. I had been automatically given a window seat – I prefer aisles. I had to stop by the counter to check my bag – it was clearly in excess of any interpretation of their carry-on rules. There was no line. I tried to change my seat but was told it would cost 10 Euros to do so. I was, however, also told that the plane was empty so not to worry.

I went through SkyPriority security as I was on an Air France code-share and had my Platinum Blue gold card with me. Again, no lines.

The gate area was immensely overcrowded even by low-cost terminal standards. I made a brief stop at the Sheltair lounge, the only lounge in the terminal. The check-in staff had said I was eligible to enter. I did not see Air France listed as one of the eligible airlines on the entrance, but it did not matter as there was no attendant checking when I entered. The lounge was also overcrowded and had a minimal choice of drinks and snacks. Not impressed.

Back at the gate, I waited for everyone to board before proceeding. I then selected an empty row of seats and took the aisle. The flight was by no means empty but certainly not full. I did not see anyone policing the size of carry-on baggage – everyone seemed to be good at policing themselves. airBaltic charges Euros 70 a piece if you violate their carry-on rules.

It was a re-branded Airbus 220. I very much like the spaciousness of the cabin – by far the best of any aircraft in its category – plus the proper sized toilet ! The seats however were uncomfortable. There were small overhead monitors that showed a flight map.

They came around with a selection of snacks and drinks. I was underwhelmed - they sell a bottle of water for 2 Euros. A surprising number of people appeared to have pre-ordered meals. Later in the flight they did a duty-free run, but I did not see anyone buying.

In short, the flight was fine as long as you have the right (low) expectations. The airport experience at Terminal 2D was abysmal; the cabin was spacious but the seats uncomfortable; there’s nickle-and-diming everywhere.

Flight map displayed continuously.

Seats are also uncomfortable to sit in.

2-3 seating. Spacious feel to the A220 cabin.