Old Jun 26, 19, 8:52 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't look for American chains while traveling but I definitely eat various kinds of "fast" food while traveling. I'd say a typical day in a foreign country is hotel breakfast + some sort of quick option for lunch + more of a traditional local (slow) meal for dinner. What constitutes "fast" kind of varies a bit by country, and isn't always exotic. Sometimes streetfood, sometimes a market, and sometimes a fixed restaurant not too different from what an American fast food setup would look like.

While roadtripping in many parts of the world, you'll find service areas on toll roads that don't look too different than a turnpike oasis in the U.S. Mini-food-court + convenience store, etc. We've lunched at those before as well. The food court usually has at least one outlet serving what we'd consider a typical Western fast-food menu, plus options that are a little more local. If I've already had a few good meals of the local cuisine, I have no problem grabbing the burger or pre-packaged turkey sandwich instead of the local option.

I've never thought it makes me less of a traveler that every meal we have isn't a three-hour-long journey at a Michelin-rated restaurant. Sometimes you just want quick...and get on to whatever else you want to do that afternoon.