FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I focus on moving to a new airline mileage program?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:37 pm
diver858

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sudobuntu
Knowing the closest major airport would help. The sad reality is that like everyone else, barring any need for a specific frequent route, you're likely best off choosing the airline which dominates the closest major airport.
I'm curious as well: Other than Los Angeles, what California City "not dominated by Alaska" offers better nonstop, connections on another carrier. AS has done a pretty good job establishing network options out of SAN and SJC, with some very competitive fares, respectable upgrade opportunities, fewer weather-related risks than PDX and SEA. With all of the service options out SAN, I have had little difficulty earning MVPG status, enjoy benefits and upgrades requiring 2-3x BIS miles, increasing minimum spends on competing US carriers. Sure, there is lots of room for improvement, AS appears to be inching its way along the race to the bottom, but still offers one of the most viable options for those not earning top tier status on a major US carrier.