FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed as may need to alter Aeroplan reward flight
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:52 am
YEG USER

Originally Posted by prmetime
Thanks for this. If I understand you correctly, I would end up paying the change fees of $400 but not the $600 in cancellation fees if I book a different flight within a year. However, my miles would not be returned. Do you know if the difference in taxes be returned? Thanks again.
You can simply cancel your flights now free of charge. This will not give you any refund of miles and/or taxes.

Within 1 year of original booking date you can re-book your cancelled flight. At that time you'll be hit with $400 in charges. You'll also be charged any additional taxes/fees due, but will also get a refund for any taxes fees if the taxes/fees are lower. Keep in mind that the departure date of your re-booked flight needs to be within 1 year of booking date (i.e. you can't call up 11 months after booking date and ask for a flight 6 months in the future).

Should you want to cancel your flight, make sure your re-booked flight is at least 22 days in the future and then you can pay $600 to get the refund.

Another suggestion... I have no idea when your return trip is planned, but since you booked 2 one-ways, if your return trip is more than 22 days away you might want to simply cancel the return and get a refund now, and figure out what to do with your outbound later. That way you aren't paying for a change fee on the return.