FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:21 am
MePlatPremier

Originally Posted by jpdx
I have an interesting one about the $10 credit.

Stayed at a Moxy in Europe (FRA to preempt the obsessive requests to name the property -- first time at that brand), and chose the $10 credit (converted to EUR9). Asked if I needed vouchers, no no, just get whatever you want --grab-n-go, hot "food," drinks at the bar-- and we'll deduct EUR9pp/d. Alrighty, then. At check-out wasn't given a printout, but just told the amount. I knew my rate was EUR160-something, and the FD agent quoted EUR172-ish, which sounded ok given a local occupancy tax of EUR2pp/d. I reminded her of the EUR9 credits and she did some typing, then swiped my credit card. Grabbed the printout, rushed to the train. Not checking it on the spot was a mistake, I know. Turns out because I checked out alone, the agent took off one EUR9 credit that had already been posted, and ended up charging me EUR180-ish (without mentioning that it's more than the EUR172 she initially mentioned). Moreover, I found out that they don't deduct a flat EUR9, but rather the credit applies to a single transaction only -- a EUR7.50 purchase was taken off, but a not part of an EUR3 transaction. Of course this wasn't mentioned when I checked in.

The amounts are minimal and it's partially my fault for not requiring and checking a printout before handing over my CC, but I thought increasing the rate read out at check-out is just shady. So I emailed to ask to have the bill corrected, and the hotel now asks me to prove that I had a +1.

Anyway, I learned to, on my thankfully very rare stays at one of the $10 discount brands, to specifically ask at check-in how the credit is applied (single transaction?), and at check-out demand a printout and check it closely. Oh, and I'll make an effort to book away from these brands whenever at all possible.
And were you by yourself or with a +1? In Germany, as with most European countries, all guests staying in the room have to be checked-in with ID details. It’s the law. So the hotel should’ve had the other guest’s details already on file. No need to ask for proof.