FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed revenue/award ticket with AA/Iberia plus
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:30 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
There's a MIA-MAD-CDG route that I'd like to fly using Avios, and there is availability.

Problem is I will be in Orlando (MCO). I was hoping to fly American from MCO to MIA and connect there. The problem is that I can't seem to get availability using Iberia Avios or on a revenue ticket. When I try all revenue MCO=MAD just to see, it gives me non -IB all the way; if I use multicity, it says nothing available.

Would calling in give me different results? Specifically, booking MCO-MIA on AA using revenue and MIA-MAD-CDG on an award, all on one ticket.

(I could do separate tickets easily enough, but even with a 5 hour connection, I'd be worried about a misconnect given I've seen 6 hour delays when thunderstorms blanket the state (happened just last May in Orlando). If I could get it on one ticket, I'd be protected.

(I'd book all on AA if IB released availability to AA, but they seem to have much greater availability for Iberia Plus than Oneworld partners. Also, I'd probably rather do revenue for the short segment MCO-MIA rather than IB Avios since it would make the miles nonrefundable I believe)
AA's policy is to protect on separate AA-oneworld tickets. The current (February, 2019) iteration of this policy says that you are protected if both tickets are on the same PNR. It does not say whether you are protected on separate PNR's.

If you have a Twitter account, you might tweet AA and inquire whether AA still offers protection on separate AA-oneworld tickets even when the tickets are on separate PNRs.

And FYI: Due to a software issue, it is not currently possible to book AA award flights with Iberia Plus Avios.

Have you considered taking Megabus from Orlando to the Miami Intermodal Station, which has a rail connection to MIA Airport? Or even a one-way car rental?