FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the staffer
Thread: Ask the staffer
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:22 pm
volar

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC

AEDs are fitted to all aircraft and is checked for serviceability before each sector. Every single crew member is trained in their use and is capable of completing CPR in line with BA Resuscitation Guidelines.
In the unfortunate event we’d have to use the AED, it would be expected that’d we’d rotate around crewmembers to ensure that the compressions we’re effective and not being delivered from someone who was exhausted.
We may (or may not) request assistance from healthcare professionals, however crew involved in CPR must adhere to BA Guidelines.
i did once, in the last year, unfortunately witness the AED being used on a flight. The crew did ask for any medics on board to help and the compressions continued throughout the diverted landing with the unfortunate passenger on the floor in the aisle throughout. Whilst clearly distressing for the crew and passengers, this one event gave me massive confidence in the ability of BA crew to handle this sort of situation and it moved me to write to BA to tell them how impressed I’d been by this crew. It really made me feel I’d be in safe hands if the same happened to me.