FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:29 am
dodgeflyer

Originally Posted by HMPS
I understand what you are saying....WHO sets the definition of "fair wage " ? Does basic living expenses include starting your day with a 32 ozs coke bought at a convenience store ? Whbut has call waiting and has to interrupt this call !at about the Starbucks coffee ( $ 6) I must have to wake up ? My dog (other pet) his food and vets ? The list is endless.
Years ago when call waiting feature was introduced, I heard a Financing mgr at a dealership say, look at this, I am telling this customer on the phone has no credit and yet has the money to spend oncall waiting option that I don't have.....!

Is there a Govt standard that defines what is "poverty level" foa a family of three ?
Perhaps before arguing against the concept of the living wage, some personal research could be done. You’ll find that the UK government publishes a living wage, and that several major companies (incl US ones) have agreed to pay their employees that. It is higher than the minimum wage and largely where one expects the min wage to trend to.

I do think showing some solidarity here would be good, and whilst this isn’t just BA, the last 15 years have only created employee rights erosion which in a couple decades will come back to bite in the ...; lack of house ownership (wages too low) and no liveable pension arrangements for any low paid employees. I work in investment banking so by most accounts I am ‘evil’ however there needs to be balance in society between employees and the UK no longer has that. Social unrest to follow unless some government takes drastic action.