FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:38 pm
skiaplg

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
While I empathize with families who have a tough time, just because a co. is making money does not entitle them for "a living wage ( BTW what is that).
We have seen many posts bemoaning lapses in service and more importantly recovery. At such times other posters have invited them to fly other airlines. Many have done so.
So what stops these employees to seek employment elsewhere ? If the grass is greener elsewhere we know many of us have shifted.

As to no raise but indirect increase in work load, happens all the time. Know of several people here in USA who have gone thru it. Same rule on't like it ?Move on ! BTW the work rule here is 40 hrs a week. Non union workers put in a lot more. Vacations policy and other benies are lower than in Europe....but it thrives. Free market sets its own rules.
Yes, no raise but increase in workload happens all the time, that’s the point, and people generally accept it. Europe has benefits like shorter work weeks and holiday policies specifically because people (and unions) fought for them. The free market may set its own rules, but quite frankly they obviously don't set rules as well as when you have a minimum standard.

A company making money should entitle them to a living wage. The definition is literally “minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs.” If a company isn’t able to pay this, then they have no business having employees in my opinion. If a company is making large amounts of profit, then they don’t technically have to pass those onto the employees, but it’s morally right given that they are putting the work in.

If my company didn’t give us our bonuses and didn’t give us raises given their current financial situation, yes I would leave. However, I am lucky to live in a place when there’s many other employers in my domain that are willing to hire. For CC, there aren’t hundreds of other options that are available.

i guess you position is that if companies can get away with paying employees less than they need to get housing, food and other necessities than good for them? I think companies should be held up to a standard, just like I’m glad previous generations fought so now I can enjoy a shorter workweek and plenty of holidays when I get to travel. For all my friends in the US, I’m well aware that they get none of these benefits and have to work much longer hours , but they unlike me didn’t have the option of moving to somewhere with fairer legislation.