FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will QR’s operations be affected by a US Iran conflict?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:51 pm
ph-ndr

Programs: QR Plat
My view is that the only thing we can say for certain here is that we don't know. There is a lot of random factors at play here. The only thing I am fairly certain about is that given the view that the US now has little strategic interest in the Gulf region for it's own ends, then the US is likely not going to be very concerned about how the cookie crumbles here.
The other semi random factor to put into the mix here is that some of the occupants in social housing in Washington DC have shown themselves to be more than willing to carry water for the Saudis, and that the Saudies are very ineffective at executing a war. This adds to the probability that the US will do what the Saudies want help with. Add to that, the current blockade for Qatar is there because the UAE/SA feels that Qatar is too far much aligned with Iran and open to be pragmatic with Iran than SA/UAE is, so Qatar could probably easily find it self in a pickle if this region heats up.
All this said, the Qatari state is fully paid up on their anti war insurance, you have a close US presence in and nearby Qatar both on the water and in the air, and the Qataries whent on a nice shopping spree to both the Europe and US as soon as they saw that Trump was being elected, so they aren't dummies.
At the end of the day, I am not so sure logic will apply here, but we might see some settling of scores based on who has stepped on who's toes in the neighbourood politics lately (who is friendly with who, who have had a finger in which foreign affair events the last few years, etc.) and what better way to deal with all this than pulling in the US muddle the waters so everyone can get their business taken care of.

My two dihrams worth of analysis.
-A

PS: Now, the important part here, if airspace gets constrained more than it is, then QR is likely going to be facing the option of taking off mostly on 34L/R and keep veering to the left and follow the Eufrates up and take a right turn and head for Baku and beyond to get eastwards. The quality of the champagne certainly will take a nose dive to pay for that extra fuel.

Last edited by ph-ndr; Jun 20, 2019 at 4:56 pm Reason: Speeeeeling and klarifikations