Old Jun 19, 19, 3:14 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
While your historical knowledge is impressive, the fact that you have to go back to the 1950s to find planes that were more dangerous than the MAX says a lot.

The point is that we have come a long way in the past 60-70 years, and air travel is a lot safer than it used to be. If the MAX is a regression to the safety levels of the 1950s, then it has to be permanently grounded, because that level of safety is simply no longer acceptable.
To be fair, I think JDiver's point is that some of the planes in the 1950s were actual "flying death traps." The 7M8 is not one of those. So I actually don't think it really says anything about the safety of the 7M8 to say that they are not the flying death traps of the 1950s.

I do share your general discomfort with the 7M8, however, and I am not confident that it is as safe as other planes out there today, despite what Boeing and AA pilots say. While that might not be completely rational, I'm probably going to go out of my way to avoid it, at least for a while.