FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - School dinner desserts
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:07 pm
DeathSlam

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sweetheart I am afraid that I was put off it when in hospital as a child and the very thought makes me heave. No disrespect but I am very unfaddy with food, but that Tapioca,
The tapioca pearls used in tapioca pudding, noted as the most hated school desert by brits in the school meals of the 70s and before, are now seeing a resurgence in Asia as part of 'bubble tea' which I also find revolting. Tapioca itself is used in Skips to which I have no objection.

Further research on rhubarb crumble has delivered the following.
1) It's easy and cheap to make.
2) It survives reheating remarkably well.
3) It is quintessentially British. (Elsewhere the herb is known as a medicine or as an obscure complement to things other than crumble).
4) It's bit dry on its own but custard, ice cream, single cream, or any drink, make it easy to consume.
5) It may be hard to supply at outstations due the the worldwide distribution of rhubarb production.
6) It has a relatively long shelf life as it is a hygroscopic entity like honey.
a) Rhubarb triangle has EU protected status
b) The UK rhubarb originates from Russia, but it may have come from China before that.
c) The Opium Wars in China were about trade in rhubarb and tea as well as opium.
d) UK cultivation started about the same time as our Chinese supplies were coming under pressure.
e) At one point the Yorkshire triangle produced 90% of world rhubarb.

Rhubarb crumble is one of my top foods of all time. If it was available on flights or in lounges it might actually have a significant impact on my travel plans. It's like Hobbits and mushrooms. Come on BA, don't be shy of showing the world what the UK can offer