FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:34 am
kmersh

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
if you read what i mentioned earlier. After you drop off, have the employee come to you at the car with you, check the car and and then ask him to sign his name and a note on the rental paper saying car checked and everything is good. I always did that and never had nay issues later. You can even do better by taking 20 secs cellphone video of the car and conversation saying" yep it is good!".
I am not the most eloquent with the English language (never have been, my mind is more wired for match and science) what I am trying to say is that the employee has AGREED with me that the gauge in the car reads FULL, but that his/her handheld says otherwise and it is what the handheld says that governs, not the vehicles fuel gauge. I have asked him/her to sign the receipt stating everything is A-OK and have either been told absolutely not or yeah whatever but it does not matter what the car says, it is the handheld which matter and it says the tank is down.

My point is from what I can (and anyone else) the fuel gauge reads FULL, but the handheld which the employee uses to check-in the vehicle says otherwise because it accurate (or so AVIS claims) up to the 10th of a gallon which the fuel gauge is not and nobody disputes (the employee, the manager, myself) that the fuel gauge reads FULL, they all say it is what the handheld says which matters and it says for example the tank went out with 12.4 gallons of fuel (gauge read FULL) and I brought it back with 12.2 (gauge reads FULL) therefor AVIS is going to charge for me for one gallon of gas.

To be clear nobody from the check-in employee to the Managers I have spoke with doubt for one second that the vehicle's fuel gauge reads FULL, but they all say that many of the cars are equipped with a computer which is far more accurate than the fuel gauge and AVIS is going by that computer and not the car's fuel gauge, no amount of signatures or videos will change that.

In fact my last rental the employee said yes the gauge reads full and even wrote that on the receipt and said you can speak with the Manager inside but most likely he will say that the computer says it is down x .10 of gallon and the charge stands. He turned his screen towards me, showed me that the car went out with 14.1 gallons of gas and I returned it with 13.9 gallons of gas and thus the charge was accurate even though he agreed with me and my pic of the gauge reading FULL as well as the employees written statement on the back of the receipt that the gauge read full.

He did remove the charge as a gesture of good will, but said that not all Managers will be willing to do that as AVIS really wants us to use the new system and not credit customers for gas charges.

Last edited by kmersh; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:41 am