FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta consider to orders A321XLR?
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:13 pm
wlau

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Duke787
I doubt DL will touch the 737MAX -- I certainly have no plans to fly on one ever (if I can avoid it) and DL is in a strong position as the only US major without any 737 MAX planes which at this point in time is a strategic advantage both with consumers and operationally
I agree with you. I underestimated the general mass' view on the MAX. I recently tried to schedule a biz trip with several coworkers from Asia (before grounding but after accidents), they saw a domestic segment operated by UA that was on a MAX, and they REFUSED to go on the trip. I thought they were joking but no... emails went all the way to senior management request that they are not forced to fly. These are highly educated deeply technical people with multiple advanced degrees and NO, they would not have any part of it. We even discussed the fact that something so hideous as a poorly design MCAS can leave Boeing engineering, they wonder what other issues yet to be known. Conversations got really personal and almost a soul-searching level, and that they don't want to risk their lives and their families' future should something go wrong. I end up had to redo the trip multiple times so none of the segments were on a 737 or 757, because they were afraid it could get substituted by the MAX should there be equipment issues. I was really surprised by this reaction....

Delta may not be saying this publicly, but it's slowly becoming an Airbus-only fleet, so they might as well as get the XLR and streamline maintenance and create an even more consistent passenger experience. Delta looks like the smart one by not having any MAX, so they should continue this wise move of staying with Airbus A320 family. I think the A321 is a great plane and really enjoy it. I've also flown on A350 multiple times and it's notably better than B787 for passenger comfort prospective, so I am all for moving to a Airbus-only fleet.

Last edited by wlau; Jun 20, 2019 at 1:07 am