FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me solve this redemption mystery
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:21 am
MePlatPremier

Originally Posted by chuck1
Several months ago, before the points increase, I redeemed two rooms for 5 nights each at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch.
They only had king beds available for awards and were priced as follows.
60,000 x 4 = 240,000 points per room (1 night free).

The points were deducted from my account.

I then called the hotel because I wanted connecting rooms and one of the rooms with two beds. They changed this by adding a cash only upgrade fee to one of the rooms as two beds are pricier at that hotel.

This was properly reflected on marriott.com under my bookings.

Fast forward a few months.

I notice the room with two beds went from 240,000 points to 340,000 points on the confirmation and indeed a 100,000 points was missing from my account.

I called whatever number they give Titanium members and she told me the system pulled the points back when I made the booking but just now issued a certificate at 85,000 x 4 rather than 60,000 x 4. That represents the 100,000 difference.

She credited back 100,000 points and all is fine.

The stay is not for another 6 months.

Is this a plausible explanation? The system deducted the points early morning on a Sunday so I do think it was automated.

Thanks.
When you modified the room type on the reservation, the system cancelled the old reservation and made a new one, under the current point rates. In my experience even the reservation number changes on such situations.