FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG}
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:21 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Booking and paying for Tienda Leone remise by credit card at the airport took only a couple of minutes. Drivers were waiting. New car, helpful driver: but it's pricey at almost AEP1600. Even these divers will try to avoid confrontation with regular taxi drivers by not dropping you off by the hotel doors.
Our Tienda Leone car had not the slightest hesitation about dropping us off at the main entrance, helping with out bags, etc. Same for the return trip, which we ended up booking with Tienda Leone as well, but via the web, which gave us a nice discount (ended up under 800) and let us pay by credit card on line. Car pulled up front and waited for us.

On all journeys back to the airport, be aware that drivers might try to avoid tolls. This is particularly the case on fixed fare trips (eg Taxi Ezeiza), where "accidents on the toll road" are the excuse.
The Tienda Leone price each way specifically said it included tolls and driver tip, which is perhaps why the drivers didn't try to avoid the tolls. (We would have contacted the company to insist on a refund.)

But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.
I stayed in March of this year, and also a couple of years ago. Both stays were very similar. No fruit in room, and I did not even open the mini-bar so I can't say what was or wasn't in there. I never use glasses or mugs in the rooms at any hotel anywhere unless I see carts full of freshly washed ones rolling through the halls, since if they aren't washed en masse in the kitchen, they are washed by hand by housekeeping in the rooms, and I don't trust that. Neither my room from a couple years ago, nor either of my rooms from March were what I would call shabby. They weren't ultra-modern, but they were clean and functional and pleasant enough. The bathroom was in decent shape, sink, shower and toilet worked fine. Bath amenities were nicer than standard Hilton-issue ones. The executive lounge was decent but got very crowded at times (obviously depends on hotel occupancy) so best to get there just before service starts.

Originally Posted by MP001
Any feedback about the breakfast?
I've had breakfast in both the lounge and the restaurant. The restaurant has much more variety, including smoked salmon (a breakfast favorite of mine), custom egg station, etc.

The hotel is fine if you want the security of a known quantity even if it is low in either luxury or charm. In essence this is just like the run of the mill Hiltons you find in odd corners of the US. It would be totally eclipsed by DoubleTrees in many parts of the world.
I disagree that the property is comparable to a "run of the mill Hiltons you find in odd corners of the US" because in my experience, US Hilton properties tend to be what I would call shabby -- worn out room furnishings, a depressing and overcrowded executive lounge with a pitiful breakfast, and no restaurant breakfast offered to Diamonds. Don't get me wrong, this property is nowhere near the level of luxury or service you'd find at, say, the Hilton Tokyo or the Conrad Hong Kong, but it's comparable to Hilton properties all over the world. Plenty of European Hiltons have far smaller rooms, for example. The Hilton Sydney has rooms the size of postage stamps (they do have a nice restaurant breakfast, although not nearly as nice as it was just a few years ago). I'd say this property falls somewhere in the mid-range of non-US properties.

i tried once downstairs, but it was just so crowded i turned round and went back up to the lounge.
I'm certain this is highly dependent on hotel occupancy and time of day. In my experience, I never had a wait for a table downstairs, but after I was done I often saw a long line waiting to be seated; when the hotel is busy earlier is usually better than later.