FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - rollout of the new STARS and Luminous program just announced...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:50 pm
DavidO

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I've just attended a webinar detailing the new STARS and Luminous programs that will be going live on July 1st. While a definite step forward, they do not fulfill the the "best of class" preferred partner program that I had been led to expect. Here are some top takeaways:

(1) The program takes effect on July 1, 2019 with a new password-protected agent website to launch at the same time.

(2) As before, BONVOY points will be awarded for all bookings made at the STARS, Luminous, or Virtuoso rate codes.

(3) The current STARS brands (RC, RC Reserve, Bulgari, and Edition) will now include St. Regis and Luxury Collection.

(4) All STARS bookings will now include a $100 hotel credit, matching the Virtuoso amenities ... but now bookings at any RC or Luxury Collection hotels booked under the STARS rate code will now also receive the $100 credit. This would include RC Westchester and RC Tysons Corner, probably the two non-Virtuoso RC hotels I book the most.

(5) Back-to-back bookings to double the $100 credit are explicitly disallowed.

(6) The STARS Guardian Angel has always been a huge benefit — I've been able to click a button on the website to send a message to a designated Guardian Angel at each STARS hotel in the world, with a guaranteed 4-hour response time. Upon the July 1st launch of the new website, travel advisors will have the same easy, direct messaging for St. Regis and Luxury Collection hotels.

(7) Not specified in the webinar — but I've asked the question: STARS bookings have priority over FHR bookings for upgrades.

STARS amenities effective July 1, 2019

(8) Luminous brands: W Hotels, JW Marriott, Autograph, Westin, Marriott, Le Meridien, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio. Individual hotels can choose whether to opt-in or not.

(9) Two levels of opting in ... the base level offers daily complimentary breakfast for two. The enhanced level offers a $100 hotel credit in addition — its use to be determined by each hotel. Essentially, it's a function of what restaurant and spa facilities the hotel itself owns. Back-to-back bookings to exploit this credit are disallowed.

(10) Though not as robust as the Guardian Angel program, each Luminous hotel will have an ambassador ... with a promised 12-hour response time.

Luminous amenities effective July 1, 2019

Last edited by DavidO; Jun 17, 2019 at 4:58 pm