FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA orders 20 E175s, comments on A321XLR
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:45 am
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by spin88
I don't see the piece on UA's order, the big news is that Udvar-Hazy's Air Lease just made relatively large orders for the A321XLR and for the A220. Seals of approval to to speak. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...from-air-lease

I found this line interesting:

" With the A321XLR -- for “extra long range” -- Airbus has succeeded in beating Boeing to market with a new offering for middle-distance routes, such as between central Europe and the U.S. heartland. Boeing has been weighing a $15 billion investment in a jet it calls the new midmarket airplane, or NMA. But the U.S. planemaker has put those plans on the back burner until the 737 Max, which was grounded after crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia, gets the green light from regulators to fly again".

I had wondered if Boeing - having gotten in a war with its union's 15 years ago, and sharply cut engineering resources to try to increase its profitability - could walk and chew gum at the same time.

The reality is that Boeing was going to do a new clean sheet single aisle plane, but that got derailed by the 787 issues, then Airbus beat Boeing to the punch with the neo, causing Boeing to jerry rig the max, and now the poor design of the MAX is creating issues with the MoM 797, allowing Airbus to get a jump with the A321xlr while also scooping up the A220 line on the cheap.
As much as I agree with you, I want to see things at the end of the show. I don't think Boeing is in complete crisis mode yet, but it did cross my mind that instead of using employee parking lots at headquarters, they should maybe figure out how to move new airplanes to the empty Sears parking lots around the United States.