View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:55 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lhrpete
And yet if we were to believe the publicity here:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

LH ground staff ought to have been waiting for IAN-UK on arrival at FRA.

Indeed FRA is listed on the page as one of the hubs where this service is offered. Surely a founder member of *A is in on this at their main hub or would it only work if for instance you were connecting SK-SQ?

I would be inclined to draw LH's attention to this downright failure in their own service at their major hub.
In the past I've been given apron transfers at FRA, once just me, travelling to Singapore: the other time I hugged an HON's coat-tails travelling to Lagos.

But I'm told that type of service is now reserved only for passengers in F, and possibly for HONs.

They have staff positioned by arrival gates, but as far as I could make out they are limited to directing connecting passengers to the correct gate. A couple of times I've been told by these helpful souls that I'm too late and will be booked on the next flight, only to make it to the gate and be accepted on the flight.

At Munich, pressed for time but travelling with a friend who has some mobility problems, I waved down a gofl-cart thingy and the driver really bust a gut getting us to the gate.

I guess it is simply more expeditious for the airline to rebook, rather than employ resources to facilitate connections: the personal costs to passengers are disregarded. The EU Regulation works towards redressing this, but with LH straight-batting each claim, the cost of compliance is probably lower than might be expected.