FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have experience with the new seldom wash clothes?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:22 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Allentown
I can travel almost any where in the world with about 3 merino wool shirts, 3 merino underware and socks. I've done it and do it often.

I was teaching classes and one of the physicians i was teaching was an Army Trauma doc who then bought some for his travel and he mentioned it to the founder of Unbound Merino (well not exactly, if i recall there is a "how did you hear about us" survey when you purchase and the founders must occasionally check or get forwarded responses) ...long story short. I actually got contacted personally by one of the co founders Dima Zelikman with a personal thank you. I actually responded to his email and we carried on an exchange for at least 5 or 6 emails if i recall. That's pretty darn impressive customer attention in my book.

Unbound Merino is better than ice breaker and certainly better wool x etc. A few pointers...this stuff is expensive but they DO have bundle packs and then they DO run black friday sales. I stock up by combining bundles with black friday door busters.

To really make merino wool work here is a tip. Change clothes every 8 to 12 hours. If it stays dry you can wear it for weeks.

My routine: Arrive from a flight, that shirt comes off and starts to dry.. Shirt number 2 goes on. At bed time Shirt number 2 goes out to dry. I don't sleep in it because it is too expensive to risk stretching. IN the morning a brand new shirt 3 goes on. When i get off work Shirt number one goes on till bed time. Day two a completely dry shirt 2 goes back on. After work, i am back to Shirt 3 before heading out (and so on). You can go for weeks and or months like this, go home to your wife shove the arm pit right in her face and zero smell.

This works fine if you are relatively clean. Obviously this doesnt make you mud proof, dirt proof, and if you are a generally fiilty person this wont work. However, you can wash them in the sink in cold water with some wool soap. Merino wool drys pretty fast and your back in buisness. The underware and socks honestly need a good washing in the sink a bit more often but as bad as this sounds, you can get by with wearing each set closer to 48 hours if you constantly change them and let them dry (as opposed to the normal 24 hours straight most people do).

I have a drawer full of merino wool gear and last fall they came out with very handy long sleeved t shirts which i wore all around London for days a couple weeks ago. Now i am just waiting for them to come out with some polo shirts. They also have a hoodie but i don't have one. Since it is expensive i don't wear it around the house (much). I have one black shirt (the first unbound mernio wool t i ever bought) that i use for the flight itself since it doesnt look as good as it once did and one that looks great but has a stain on it (salsa i think it was) that i use if i am going to eat out some where messy and I DO mow the yard in that one. Over time i may end up replacing all my shirts with merino wool as the new stuff gets old an i dont want to throw it out so i buy new and start using the old around the house more etc...

Cheers and happy minimalist packing travels!

Link added: https://unboundmerino.com/collection...MaAoA5EALw_wcB

Thanks a lot. I have been wearing merino wool t-shirts under a button down shirt for a while. I was very sick a few years ago and one of the residuals is I’m often cold. The wool t-shirts help a lot so I’m used to wearing them but they aren’t treated. I have 6 or 8 of them and change them everyday but I think I’ll try the Unbound Merino or some of the other brands.