FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Engagement Proposal at gate on arrival (FLL)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:44 pm
LesPaul30

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Help with Engagement Proposal at gate on arrival (FLL)

OK FT'er's! I'd like to get your input on a proposal idea I am working on.

I've seen this done before as a kid and always remembered it.. I have also seen variants of this on youtube as well. But let me know thoughts and if have any advice/tips on this.

I am a GS with United and have given my companion status to my GF of a few years. I have an idea to surprise her with a marriage proposal at the gate in FLL. The trick here is that she knows a proposal is coming in general over the next few months but wouldn't figure this and I need to figure out how to spring it on her where she wont see it coming. What I have in mind is that I would be flying in from IAH to FLL on flight 2100 in a few weeks which arrives at 23:42. She will be on flight 711 from EWR which comes in at 23:28. The idea here is that the GS agents in IAH have helped me load 150~ roses/flowers on the plane. She will have to meet me at the gate for whatever reason I can come up with (Help with a bag.. gift for family in FLL, etc.. not sure yet) after she gets off her flight. Typically she would be maybe a gate away or two at FLL. I would have pre-arranged the flight attendants to ask passengers on my flight to deplane with one rose/flower each and give this to her as they get off the plane and go on their way. I will deplane last, she'd have a ridiculous amount of flowers, likely some sort of crowd waiting around, and I will ask then as I come off with the ring.
These tickets are not booked yet. So its not set in stone but wanted to get your thoughts.

Now, there are a few thoughts/issues here.

*First off, 12 mins on both scheduled arrival times is VERY tight between her flight and mine. If she's delayed out of EWR its all off. I will be flying West to East which will also cut some time off vs her North to South. Thoughts there? (Anyone want to convince the pilot to do a 'go around' on final on my flight? J/K... )

*How to get her to come to the gate once she gets off her flight at FLL.. She'd usually find a bench of something and wait for me, possibly even past security as shes done before. So I'd need a reason for her to be there and not something fairly benign that would throw her off.

*Getting the flowers on the plane: I have already called the GS desk, who called the GS desk in IAH who checked with TSA there. They (TSA) have no issues loading that many flowers on as long as it can go thru the X-Ray. It's not like shes going to hold on to these post-FLL. GS can likely help with loading these on to the plane somewhere where its out of the way.

*Roses might not be a great idea since they have thorns on the stems. Dont want her holding 150 thorns.

*Some may question if I am inconveniencing other passengers. I don't think so. I'd only ask them to take a single flower as they get off, hand it to her off the jet-way and go on their way. If they don't want to take part, they don't have to and it wouldn't matter. Some will likely have no issues with this and will likely even stick around to see what she says.

*I'd even consider a small picture of her on the first few stems so the folks can easily identify her as they get off.

Let me know your thoughts.. all ideas welcome!