FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas {US-NV}
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:56 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This is not that uncommon of a design for hotels. Three I can think of off the top of my head that have a lobby above the ground floor accessed by separate elevators are the Westin Philadelphia, the W New York Times Square, and the Mandarin Oriental New York.
I think it's partly a function of security, but probably primarily a function of the real estate footprint; in many of these hotels there's no space for a full lobby reception on the ground floor because of restaurants, retail, or, in the case of the W-A LV, the lobby for the Residences.

I think this one is a little unique in that the lobby is on the top floor, and then you have to go down to your room, but actually once you're checked in, outside of late-night hours, you can change on the 3rd floor for the guest room elevators, so you don't have to go out of your way. IIRC after midnight, you have to go up to 23 and then down to the room, presumably for security purposes as there's no staff on 3 at that point.
Oh, many more than that. You brought up New York...I've experienced the lobby on a different level (have to take an elevator to the lobby, then a different elevator to the rooms) at the now RIP Doubletree Times Square and the New York Hilton Times Square. I personally like the added level of security and have no trouble walking the few yards from one set of elevators to another.