FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade emails offers FAQ
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
kq747

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Route: Seattle to Dubai, on the 777. Originally booked an economy saver ticket U class (which earns me 50% on alaska miles, so approx 3000 alaska miles).

Just got an email upgrade offer for $790 (one-way) - if I take it, will it change the ticket fareclass to earn the higher rate of 225% alaska miles on any business fareclass (approx 15000 alaska miles)? How can I make sure of this before committing? The price is only justifiable to me if I get the extra miles otherwise its a bit out of my budget. Also I've flown emirates/other business class before many times so its not that much of a wow-factor for me anymore, plus i'm pretty short so overall economy seat is ... fine. But ofcourse having a mostly-flat bed for a 14 hour flight is nice, just not $790 nice.

Also, this email offer is about 2 weeks out. If I wait till 48 hours and try to upgrade at checkin, from people's experience are the email offers higher or lower than the checkin offers?
IIRC you should earn the original ticketed amount. Emirates upgrade book into D class. As an aside, $790 is the lowest amount i've heard of for USA-DXB upgrade email offer. Usually $1000 is the standard amount but might have something to do with the new fare bucket introduced this week that mirrors the email upgrade offer.