FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:12 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Took a $1,000 VDB on LAS-ORD a few days ago. I SDC'd to this flight the day before and I was on a paid FC fare. I always double-check my check-in so I did the morning of the flight and the app solicited for volunteers. I figured I would test things out so I selected the $800 option.

At the airport I was originally told they were over by 2 but they had no way to get me to my destination in FC so they declined me. They then made a general announcement for two volunteers with flexible travel plans. Two guys came up and she offered to rebook them for the next day. I didn't even think to ask about that because I was already on the road for four straight weeks. I went back to the GA and asked if she could get me back the next day and she said of course. So I moved back up to #1 volunteer. She told me to board and she would come get me if she needed me.

After I boarded I noticed a new name appear as #1 on the upgrade list (not on the standby list). Then I saw my seat become available so I knew they bumped me. They gave #1 on the upgrade list my seat in FC and I got the bump. Not sure if he was a misplaced F passenger or what happened since his name definitely appeared after the T-30 cut off check-in time.

I then found flights OAL for the same day that they happily booked me into. This became a disaster but that's for another thread.

-RM