FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:18 am
kaizenflying

BA has a serious challenge on its hands given its broad cabin crew contracts and scheduling agreements trying to work alongside each other. Introducing updated crew contracts was understandable in the operating environment but this decision was very risky and I suspect noise levels will get a lot worse as staff on newer contracts become established and don’t leave as quickly as BA might have thought.

As I understand it, legacy crew contracts (Heathrow base?) protect staff Ts and Cs but are more restrictive on the company in terms of crew flex. BA appears to have introduced contracts at the other end of the spectrum for new staff and even regional bases - and I think Gatwick is considered regional! Staff doing the same job, working similar routes and contributing to a profit making organisation but treated very, very differently. It sounds as if the legacy contracts are impossible to renegotiate which creates a two tier system for exactly same job and some staff left at a disadvantage.