FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:48 am
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I've so far stayed here only for 1-2 nights at the end of a stay elsewhere in Bangkok, which when combined with an early flight and having probably eaten huge breakfasts several days in a row elsewhere means I haven't really cared that much about breakfast. The evening cocktail spread I find is well above average which slightly balances out the below average breakfast for Asia.

Regarding the TripAdvisor rating I'm not sure the average reviewer is considering how good the Platinum breakfast option is at this hotel (or even has lounge access), which probably explains it a bit!
The size of my pants is not changing while my waist size is growing, so it's a reminder when I get dressed in the morning that I should be wiser like you are, and temper my enthusiasm about the fantastic Thai food when in Bangkok. But I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off cutting back on happy hour rather than breakfast if I must choose one or the other

You are right about TripAdvisor. That said, if somehow we were able to filter out all non-elite reviews from TripAdvisor, and everybody without lounge access, I am not sure that Marriott Surawongse would necessarily be far ahead of a hotel such as Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit for example. Both are new hotels with nice hardware, one strength of Marriott Surawongse are upgrades, take it away if you are not elite and this hotel is very good but #1 out of 1000... probably it would not be. Most casual travelers would care about location more than you and I, and you would think it would hurt TA ratings?

If I did not have status and if I knew for sure I am not getting breakfast, no lounge access, and no upgrade, I think my hotel choice would be a nice hotel but with subpar elite benefits so what I "lost" would be minor, for example Banyan Tree. Perhaps Hyatt Place in a lower price range.