FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:02 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Warszawiak
Hi, long time reader but first poster. First and foremost, thank you to all for the informative posts. I've learned a lot from reading them.

​​​​​​The last time that I had the opportunity to fly BA (to Warsaw) they went of strike and my flight was cancelled a couple of times. Could not go on my annual holiday last year through no fault of my own. Now I'm due to fly out on 14 July and they're threatening to strike again! I need to read the EC261 thread now. Last time BA said that I was not entitled to compensation due to strikes being out of their control.​​​​​
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Warszawiak. It's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you.

I would keep an eye on the forum over the next couple of weeks, if there was to be a strike on 14 July the law in the UK requires unions to give notification within certain deadlines. There needs to be a specific postal ballot (of a workforce that travels rather a lot) and 7 days notice minimum, so personally I think your particular date will be OK, we are nearly out of time for that already. EC261 has changed in the last year or so, thanks to industrial relations problems on German airlines. Airlines now have to pay compensation for delays due to their own workforce going on strike, and on the limited data range so far, what BA does is a cancel a quantity of flights more than 2 weeks off such that they know they can run the rest of the schedule, and allow people to rebook on services which continue to operate. Particularly if your trip starts in North America then alternative routings will become possible via AA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Finnair. So in summary if you haven't heard differently by about 2 July then you can assume your flights will operate.