FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:08 am
salut0

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by FAA1996
There is no such thing as bins intended for your seat or assigned bins, they are all shared space. Maybe things would have gone smoother if you had not thought you were entitled to those bins. That being said, a FA should never be rude to a customer, so I feel for you there. Safe travels...
You’re right — they are shared space, but shouldn’t that be shared between necessary equipment for the aircraft, and paying passengers’ bags? Also, elite boarding order as a benefit implies some expectation that by getting on early you can expect to find the bin above your seat empty except for other elite passengers’ bags who’ve also boarded then or earlier, and equipment that was already there before anyone boarded the plane.

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
You're right that it is BS when FA's do this. And there's never any excuse for FA's to be rude to customers. However, beyond an apology from AA, what are you expecting them to do at this point?
Some bonus miles would be nice and I’m tempted to ask for them.

But my complaint is actually that this seems to be part of what I sense is an increasing laziness and lackadaisical attitude on the part of AA flight attendants.

On our return BA flight LHR-JFK, the cabin crew not only served drinks and the two meals separately, but came round probably three other times with tea/coffee/water/juice, found us two special meals to make up for the fact that the vegetarian option in economy was all used up, and seemed to be constantly busy but also cheerful.

By contrast, on AA JFK-LHR aside from this disagreeable encounter with the FA, there were no drinks runs and they insisted the shades be lowered even though it was a day flight.

I've discussed that issue on FT in another thread, but my hunch now is that they do that to encourage passengers to sleep so they have to work less hard. I say that because I also often find AA transatlantic flight attendants chatting on their own in the galley, curtain closed, practically bristling when “disturbed” by a passenger for a request.

This all adds up to a feeling that on AA the priority is flight attendant convenience not serving passengers.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:43 am Reason: Typo