FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:09 pm
HKTraveler

Recently finished a trip to Kyoto

Tawaraya: wanted to try one of the old ryokans and really wanted to like this one. Check in started off poorly as I was right behind another guest and they seem somewhat confused. Taka was one of their largest rooms and could fit 4 persons comfortably. It is really two rooms with a small space in between. Certainly too large for a party of two unless each wanted their own room. Nice setting over looking the garden. Hardware was nice and up to a luxury ryokan standard. The little study alcove where the owner used to use was also nice to see. Have read up ahead of time and got a feel for all the little details they go to from the wooden bath to the soaps which are all from the best suppliers. Dinner was good but not great. Service falls short though. Maybe part of it was communication issues but I asked the futon to be set up in one room but she did it in another. Eventually I have to move the futon myself. For breakfast, they didn’t move the table back to original position so I wind up eating facing a wall rather than the garden. While I have stayed in a number of luxury ryokan and really wanted to like this grand dame, it just didn’t do it for me and don’t think I would go back.

RC Kyoto: concierge team was very responsive and helpful in securing restaurants reservations. Luxury room is reasonably spacious. All the amenities are there from Nespresso to electronic bidets. This has become my go to hotel in Kyoto mostly due to its location. Easy walking distance to most restaurants, Gion, Nishiki market, old palace and with Kamo river right in front. Jogging in the palace compound or along Kamo river are very convenient. Have always liked their Pierre Hermès bakery goods at breakfast and tried their Japanese breakfast for the first time. Easily better than Tawaraya’s breakfast. Another new discovery is the little stream between the hotel and Kamo river heading towards the direction of the old palace which has quite a number of fireflies at night. Am planning to be back in Aug and Dec